Alliance Preservation Awards
The Alliance Area Preservation Society's Preservation Award honors noteworthy preservation projects in the greater Alliance area. These awards are an opportunity for the Society to recognize the efforts of property owners and the often heroic work they perform in preserving the historic and architectural resources in our area. The awards also encourage historic preservation and acknowledge that good preservation can be found in the restoration of the most modest residence to the grandest mansion.
2012 Preservation Award Recipients:
Conrad Lodge No. 271
144 S. Linden, built 1915-1917
This red brick Georgian Revival style building was built during WWI and dedicated with a parade, a dinner and “Grand Ball” on New Year’s Day 1918. Contrasting limestone trim is used with the brick to create classically inspired windows, corner quoins, a denticulated cornice and a pediment roof.
3001 South Union
built c. 1865
This mid 19th century home was probably a farmhouse just outside the Village of Mount Union. Notably situated on a small hill overlooking Silver Park, it has been lovingly restored. A bracketed overhanging cornice, spiral corner guards and a large wraparound porch with braces have been painted in three contrasting colors for optimum effect.
2013 Preservation Award Recipients:
Former Alliance Women’s Club
229 South Union, built 1907
Originally the home of Walter Webb, Sr. and his wife Katharine, it became the Alliance Women’s Club in 1923. A two story frame Colonial Revival style portico is the main architectural feature of this white-painted brick which also has a variety of beveled glass and leaded windows. A large one story meeting room, called the Georgian Room, was added to the back (west) in 1931.
419 South Union
built c. 1887
Italianate houses such as this one were common in Alliance during the late 19th century but few have survived relatively intact. Of special interest is the bracketed square columned wraparound porch and double front doors. Possibly a cupola surmounted the roof at one time. This was originally the home of Frank Rastetter.